Friday, September 22, 2006

Brain Ramblings

By the time I get this posted it will be Hobbit Day. I don't know if it's National or International.
I also don't know exactly how one is supposed to celebrate Hobbit day since they don't really exist.

Anybody out there know anything about vacuforming? How thick can the material be and how extreme can the shape be? (Okay, it's kind of a rhetorical question and I'll go look it up tomorrow.)

I'm going to have to see how much banannas cost, because some of those dessert ideas sound pretty tasty. :-)

I'm discovering that the vast majority of websites out there don't give a tinker's damn whether they validate correctly or not. Many don't even have a doctype declaration. At all. Zip, nada. Oh, well, they never said we could outlaw stupidity. (I'd be in there from time to time myself.)

4 Comments:

Blogger earthkissed said...

Perhaps you celebrate hobbit day by going barefoot everywhere and putting fake hairs on your toes so that they are hairier?

I have now wasted an extra five minutes or so reading about vacuforming *shakes head* why do I always get sucked in? It sounds so easy.... But I shouldn't allow myself to be distracted. No new projects!

I totally recommend the banana, cinnamon, sugar and spring roll wrapper, it is very tasty (I just spray the outside with some spray on oil, I imagine it's even tastier deep fried, but I could never bring myself to do that, it just seemed too naughty).

1:41 AM  
Blogger Jade said...

What do you mean about the websites babe?

3:18 PM  
Blogger pitfinder said...

"I totally recommend the banana, cinnamon, sugar and spring roll wrapper."

Could I use a soft taco shell? Hmmm....


Sorry about the geek rant. At the top of the code that tells a browser how to render a website(page) there's supposed to be a thing called a DOCTYPE declaration that tells the browser what version of which code it's written in. Most of the big name browsers are pretty good at 'guessing' when this is missing and not showing garbage, but text only browsers or the ones that read aloud for the visually impaired (etc) can have trouble this way. It shuts people out. It confuses search engines. It's a couple lines of code, how hard can it be?

Here's the one from this comment page (minus the pointy brackets).

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"

This page, by the way, failed validation with 31 errors. Oh well.

12:19 AM  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Oh no, a soft taco shell wouldn't work.. A spring roll wrapper is paper thin!

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home