Sunday, October 29, 2006

DST

Did all of you who were supposed to set you clocks remember to? Did those of you who didn't have to remember to leave them alone? :-)
I think the whole thing is kind of stupid.

I'm not alone.


"I don't really care how time is reckoned so long as there is some agreement about it, but I object to being told that I am saving daylight when my reason tells me that I am doing nothing of the kind. I even object to the implication that I am wasting something valuable if I stay in bed after the sun has risen. As an admirer of moonlight I resent the bossy insistence of those who want to reduce my time for enjoying it. At the back of the Daylight Saving scheme I detect the bony, blue-fingered hand of Puritanism, eager to push people into bed earlier, and get them up earlier, to make them healthy, wealthy and wise in spite of themselves."
-Robertson Davies, The Diary of Samuel Marchbanks, 1947, XIX, Sunday.


And this year, the government pased a law making it start earlier and end later. They left in a provision to revert to the previous version if they want. Why don't we just leave our clocks that way all freakin' year?

Sometimes our government passes stuff just to look busy.

2 Comments:

Blogger earthkissed said...

Wow, I can't believe it. I drove Matt absolutely mad on Sunday ranting and raving about how much I hate daylight savings. In queensland we don't have it, but here in Victoria they do, and I hate it. It leads to confusion and it's stupid. The day is longer at the beginning and the end, it's just a longer day, get over it! Changing the clock doesn't do anything at all. In fact the only thing it did was make my day off one hour shorter! Plus, at the beginning of the year when it reverted back, I was on night duty, and I had to work an extra hour because of it. STUPID SOUTHERN STATES. Thank God I'm going back to queensland next year. I really really really dislike daylight savings. *end rant*

1:52 AM  
Blogger pitfinder said...

Our rationale for it is that is saves energy. Trouble is, we've been doing it since WWI and nobody really knows if the tiny drop in energy use is from DST or because it's summer and people are outdoors in the yard, on the patio, or away on vacation.
I wonder if anybody has ever gotten a federal grant to study how much money and productivity get wasted at work while people reset their clocks and try to figure out why they're tired for a week.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home