Friday, January 19, 2007

And It All Changes

I just got a phone call from one of my best friends. I've known her for years, we used to go climbing together. We've actually saved each other's lives. There were movies, meals, and malls.

Her father died tonight.

I didn't get any real detail before the signal dropped the call. I'm waiting for it to ring again.

And I'm sitting here thinking. I won't dwell on the heartache, pain, and loss, anybody who's had a death close knows that. Her life is all going to change. She's very close to her family. Now her mother will be living by herself in a house big enough for half a dozen people. Will her mother move? Where? The family finances will probably change. Will my friend be able to finish her Doctorate?

Is she out there diving on the highway by herself?


I got tired of waiting and wondering. I called. I got through.
She's stopped at a friend's house and will probably take the train tomorrow. That sounds like a wiser, safer choice. Her emotions are zooming all over the place, and I wish I could offer her a little more....evenness. Solidity. But I can't. At least she's not alone right now.

He died quietly at home, and she blames herself.

I wish she wouldn't do that.



I'd lend you my heart for as long as you need it if I could, my friend.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a good friend:) My thougts are with you both today.
lol!
Jenna

11:12 AM  
Blogger pitfinder said...

Thanks Secret Agent Girl.

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your understanding and empathy for her are monumental,even one conversation with you will provide her with some more grounding.You are such a good friend.

11:06 PM  
Blogger pitfinder said...

Thanks.
I do what I can.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home